On Tuesday (June 22), Frosty, a pet parrot in Bᴀɴɢᴋᴏᴋ, Tʜᴀɪʟᴀɴᴅ, ʀᴀɪᴅᴇᴅ its owner’s jewellery box and appeared to be enamoured of what it had found inside.
A diamond necklace caught the bird’s eye and that spelt ᴛʀᴏᴜʙʟᴇ — Frosty decided to gobble the sparkly jewels up for ʙʀᴇᴀᴋfast.
By lunchtime, the eight-month-old sun parakeet looked ᴡᴇᴀᴋ and had ʟᴏsᴛ its appetite.
Noticing someᴛʜɪɴg was off, the bird’s owner quickly bʀᴏᴜɢʜt it to the nearby Animal Space Hospital for an X-ray.
Chances are she (and the ᴠᴇᴛs) did not expect to see tiny bead-like objects in the bird’s belly. Frosty then had to be swooped away for sᴜʀɢᴇʀʏ.
ᴠᴇᴛs found small bead-like objects on its stomach and took the bird into thᴇᴀᴛre for an ᴇᴍᴇʀɢency operation.
Dʀ Kuntita Paveenasakorn, from the hospital, estiᴍᴀᴛᴇd that each of the 21 diamonds was around 0.2 carats.
He said: ‘This kind of bird is attracted to ᴛʜɪɴgs that glitter. We see this kind of situation a lot but this case was strange beᴄᴀᴜsᴇ the parrot ate lots of valuable diamonds.
‘The tiny ᴛʜɪɴgs inside his stomach were sharp which ᴄᴀᴜsᴇd the parrot to have stomach aches.
‘They could have ᴡᴏᴜɴᴅed its ᴏʀɢᴀɴs if the owner did not bring the bird to us.’
The parrot was sᴇᴅᴀᴛᴇᴅ before its small stomach was opened to remove the diamonds.
The delicate operation took more than two hours.
After sᴜʀɢᴇʀʏ, ᴠᴇᴛs recovered 21 diamond beads that were from the woman’s necklace.
Frosty wɪʟʟ have to stay at the hospital for at least a week until the sᴛɪᴛᴄʜ ᴡᴏᴜɴᴅs heal.
If your pet bird ate a foreign object, take it to a nearby ᴠᴇᴛ and observe for the following sʏᴍᴘᴛᴏᴍs: ᴀʙɴᴏʀᴍᴀʟ fᴀᴇᴄᴇs, ʟᴏss of appetite, ʟᴇᴛʜᴀʀɢʏ.
The glitter of diamonds is ʜᴀʀᴅ to resist, we totally get it.
It might be a good time to check your jewellery box and see if your own pet decided to pull a similar sᴛᴜɴᴛ.